We are so fortunate to live in such a beautiful part of the country with 4 seasons, so picking one location can be a challenge when you have options. I want my sessions to be a relaxed and fun experience, so don’t stress about making this decision. Here are a few tips on how to pick the best location for you and your family.
- What does your family like to do for fun? How do you all like to spend your time? Make sure you are choosing a location that will best suit your families personality. For example, if you love hiking together we may want to choose a larger location where we have room to explore.
- Consider the ages of your children. If you have super young kiddos an urban location may not be a great choice because you don't want to have to worry about cars and other people to distract your little one. Perhaps an open field or park may be the best location.
- Take into account the season your session is scheduled for. For example, there are some gorgeous parks in the fall that really show the beautiful autumn colors.
Here are the Different Types of Locations I Offer to My Families
- Urban. Small town locations provide gorgeous backdrops to photos, and show off historical architecture as well as some great textures.
2. Parks/gardens: Loudoun has so many gorgeous parks! Parks can be especially gorgeous in the fall when the leaves are changing and in the spring when things are lush and colorful. This makes a lovely backdrop for your family photos.
3. Fields. Open fields can make a beautiful backdrop for family pictures. Bring a family blanket, lots of space to be active, more wind blowing for movement, rolling hills, and fewer distractions.
4. Your home. This can be the perfect option for newborn photos, winter photos, or a time when your home is part of the story you want to tell. I often use families’ homes when doing family films and incorporate crafts or activities.
There you have it! Hopefully this gives you some great ideas about where to have your next family photography session. You have invested your time and your money into this experience so taking the time to really consider the location is a good idea.